Saturday 1 November 2014

My Worth Won't Come From Any Guy

How many times do we sit watching movies that are all lovey-dovey and happy and wish that we ourselves were the characters?! We want to be that girl who gets noticed by the overly sickeningly handsome guy (Ryan Gosling/Zac Efron/Channing Tatum - the list could go on and on); or be the shy guy who gets the most popular girl. We want to get swept off our feet and be madly in love and all that!

What is wrong with this picture? Are we not enough? Can we only be complete when we are in a relationship?

I'm currently single. And I don't feel like this is a bad thing. But I feel that society puts a certain stigma on those who are single. If you're single then you have probably been told that there must be something wrong with you! How about NO?! How about we just go with the fact that, at least for me, I am currently single because I have yet to meet anyone who I feel I want to get into a relationship with. This doesn't mean that I have something terribly wrong with me (although others may have a different opinion about this - namely my brother and sister!). Perhaps I am just such an amazing catch that no one has fit the bill just yet. Okay, so I'm clearly exaggerating here!! But why do I have to be in a relationship to not have something wrong with me; to be complete?

How does a relationship validate me as a woman, or an individual, or even a human being? When did we begin to believe that being in a relationship is what gives someone value?

It's so sad to think that this is the message that the younger generations are growing up with and hearing. The perception that they are not enough on their own. That their worth will be validated when they have a relationship. If this is what they are getting from us, then it's easy to see why so many young people are fan-girling over celebrities. Surely, the more well-known and liked, the more famous a guy is, the more well-liked they will be. The more they will be worth right? WRONG!

A relationship does nothing to validate you as a person! I'm not saying they are bad things at all!!! Obviously, I wouldn't mind being in a relationship. But at the same time - I won't rush into anything because there is the pressure of finding someone and realising my worth. I have worth. I, me, the individual that I am has worth. If I end up being in a relationship, I will still have this same worth! I may feel more valuable because of the guy I'm in the relationship with, but that does not negate any worth I had prior, or even after the relationship! And it's the same for all of us. For you. You are worth a whole lot more than you think even if you are not currently in a relationship. You are an awesome person with something to contribute to society and to the world that we all live in!

I guess my faith has a large part to play in my thinking on this subject. I find my worth in God, that He created me and knew me before I was born. I recognise that not everyone shares this view. But at the end of the day, if God thinks that I am enough as the individual that I am, then that's good enough for me. I can live my life saying, 'Hey look at me - I am awesome and have plenty of worth and value!'. I can do great things with my life whether I am single or in a relationship. My value and worth is not defined by the guy I am or am not in a relationship with!

Erin x

(thereislifeoutthere123@gmail.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment