Monday 22 September 2014

Looking Back and Looking Forward

Hey, my name is Erin! I’m 20 years old and currently studying to be a primary teacher at university. One more year and I will be unleashed on a class of 30 or so little children! I’m not quite sure whom I fear for the most – myself or the children!

Anyway, I know there are sooo many blogs out there already, and writing my own will just be adding another to the mix. But, for a long time I haven’t wanted to share my story. I haven’t wanted to share my experiences and feelings because I hadn’t properly dealt with them. I guess I needed to come to terms with what I had been through to get to the point where I am now. The point where I do feel comfortable sharing. Where I actually want to share my experiences in the hope that it helps someone!

So, here goes! (Just hang on in there - this first post is a little long!) At the age of 15, I lost my dad to cancer. It was a fairly quick process, around 5 months from the time he was diagnosed with a tumour to the time he died, but it felt as if it had been going on forever. My family and I would pray that our dad would die sooner rather than later so that he would no longer be in pain. It wasn’t easy seeing a man who was strong and manly turn into a skeletal figure who couldn’t even do the simple things, like open his eyes or say ‘hello’. However, at least for me, part of every one of those prayers was specifically for me. I wanted my dad to die sooner because of the pain that I was feeling.

For a long time I believed that I was selfish for wanting this. But isn’t hindsight a great thing?! Looking back now, 5 years on, I can see that it wasn’t as selfish as I once thought. I was 15. I was in the midst of exams and was beginning my GCSE’s. I had few friends that actually bothered to ask how I was doing. Even some family members were in that same boat – forgetting what we were having to deal with. I was spending the summer going in and out of hospitals and hospices. Talking with nurses and doctors. Negotiating times for my dad to return home, where he would inevitably have to return to the hospital or eventually the hospice, almost every time being taken there by an ambulance. Hardly how all my friends were spending their summer holidays.

I had a lot going on in that one summer and it didn’t finish when school started up again. I began year 11 whilst this was all still happening. Trying to make it through each day was a battle. I remember sitting in all my classes thinking about how at any moment, a teacher will come and get me to tell me that he had died, or, was being given the ‘last few hours’ checkbox. It was excruciating. Again, this pain was mine. I wanted it to end. Going home everyday only to have the process repeated over and over, day after day was torture.

Ultimately, my dad did die. And that was a whole different type of torture. The realisation of what had happened felt like a tonne of bricks being dropped on top of me, many more times than just once. But, as I did, and still do, I threw myself into my work. I spent my lunchtimes and break times in the library working on my homework. I guess I isolated myself so that I could grieve, but I don’t think I began grieving properly until fairly recently. This work ethic was learnt from my father. At his funeral, all his colleagues commented on his solid work ethic and dedication. Adopting such an approach myself improved my grades but it also cost me time with friends and a social life – not that I was much one for going out and drinking.

I isolated myself to deal with it all. I felt guilty that I was still alive and could keep going. I knew that the rest of my family were continuing with their lives too, as were all the other relatives of my dad’s, but I still felt tremendous guilt that I had the opportunity to take exams and make something of my life. There was also a lot of guilt when it came to my mum. My dad wasn’t the noblest of men that ever lived. He made mistakes at the expense of his family – and this was something I severely struggled with when he was alive, and have struggled with since his death. Due to this, I have felt a lot of guilt for wanting to move past the whole situation when my mum, and others, were and are still struggling.

Grieving is a funny thing. You think you know how to do it and NOPE!!! I couldn’t pinpoint how it is someone should grieve. Nor would I want to. All that I have learnt from my own experience is to let go of the guilt that comes along with trauma and pain. Otherwise, you let the guilt stop you from living. I let this happen – and let it continue for too long. Five years on and I am realising that for me to live, I have to rid myself of the guilt and actually move on. There are painful memories that will stay with me. There are times that I know I will have those memories return. There will be special occasions when I wish my dad were still alive. There are so many things he has already missed and there are so many that have yet to happen that he will miss. But that cannot stop me from living, I cannot be afraid of the ‘what if’s’ and the ‘what could’ve beens’!

The purpose of There is Life Out There . . . is to encourage, inspire and help one another to overcome this guilt, to realise and acknowledge the concept that there is life out there even after a traumatic event or experience – you just have to go out and find it! You have to continue living because you ARE alive!

Erin x

No comments:

Post a Comment